GA rookie help

To the experienced.
Doing my first GA concert in FLL and was looking for some tips.
Arrival time, should I take things to wait in line, etc?
Thx
Demented and sad, but social
Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Take food, water, fortitude, something to sit on, healthy dose of tolerance for assholes, appreciation for those who aren't, and maybe a change of underwear.

Sharpie too?

(sorry to say that when it comes to GA experience, I'm woefully unlike Hendrix)

Good luck to you!

• ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    I've only done it for one show (Vancouver 2013). By the time we got to the lineup at 2pm the GA lineup was already too long to get rail. We took off had a few beers and came back for doors at 6:30. I ended about having about 5 rows of people in front of me (and I was just to the right of dead centre). It was a great spot. From my experience it's not worth waiting a long time unless you really want rail. If you really want rail you probably have to camp out for a day....
  • Zod said:

I've only done it for one show (Vancouver 2013). By the time we got to the lineup at 2pm the GA lineup was already too long to get rail. We took off had a few beers and came back for doors at 6:30. I ended about having about 5 rows of people in front of me (and I was just to the right of dead centre). It was a great spot. From my experience it's not worth waiting a long time unless you really want rail. If you really want rail you probably have to camp out for a day....

This.

Unless you absolutely need the rail, don't waste a day in line. Maybe do the wishlist party, hang out and enjoy yourself.
  • joseph33joseph33 Posts: 1,247
    Its not worth wasting the day for rail. Go get some merch,go to the preparty and mingle with fellow fans.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,283
    Yeah if you want the coveted rail camp out the night before otherwise like most say enjoy the preparty meet some fans and stroll in at opening of gates ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Gremmie03Gremmie03 Posts: 504
    Thanks for the responses. 5 rows is cool w me. Looks like the merch and mingle is the way to go.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson Posts: 1,366
    Show up a half hour before the show and enjoy the back of the GA pit. You will have a lot of personal space and you won't lose your spot when you need drinks, food...etc. You will still have an awesome view, too.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Just look for the blonde ga nazi that was in LA a few years back. She will make sure you're assigned your proper spot in line.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,195
    Wma31394 said:

Just look for the blonde ga nazi that was in LA a few years back. She will make sure you're assigned your proper spot in line.

I'm looking forward to meeting people like this...
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,651

Show up a half hour before the show and enjoy the back of the GA pit. You will have a lot of personal space and you won't lose your spot when you need drinks, food...etc. You will still have an awesome view, too.

That's what I always do...and will do for my shows
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Wma31394 said:

Was that who Ed calls out after Corduroy? (LA I)
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson Posts: 1,366

That's what I always do...and will do for my shows
    I'd like to try the rail once, but it would be a one and done for me and I would probably never go out of my way to do it. Back of the GA pit is where I dwell.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    jamburger said:

Wma31394 said:

Was that who Ed calls out after Corduroy? (LA I)
    Not sure I wasn"t actually there..from what I read in the forums it was a riot!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    Bring in lots of marijuana joints and share with those around you. Get really drunk and yell free bird at every song break.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I love being rail but it's not really worth it from my experience.

I have 3 strategies and usually go for #1, then #2.

1) enter the venue 20 before Pearl Jam hits the stage, get a beer or 2 then find a spot at the back of the floor.

2) arrive an hour before gates open and typically I am about 3-5 rows back from the stage. Rows depend if you are behind Ed, Mike, stone etc.

3) Line up as early as possible and get rail.

Problem with #3 is there is no guarantee you'll get a prime rail spot. Being 3 rows in front of Ed as way better than rail in front of stone. More energy and better sight lines.

Going into the venue right before Pearl Jam hits the stage is great because I'm energized and depending on the venue the back of the floor has a lot of room to rock out, and the sound and sight is amazing as well.

I'm not saying I'll never try for rail but it's not worth it for me to line up for 12 hours to see Pearl Jam exhausted, hungry and thirsty.
  • It all depends on the situation and where you want to be. It's worth camping out if you ask me. I went to Milwaukee at 7pm the night before only to find out they weren't allowing people to camp out. Got a hotel room a block away and got up at 4am to get in line. There was about 10 people in front of me in line and probably 20 more that got there right after I did. Worked out perfect. My wife got there about 10am....I went back to the hotel, showered and changed clothes. As far as going to pre-parties and waiting in the merch line instead of waiting in line is pretty much the same thing.....we meet a lot of great people in line, had a great time. We were able to go to the merch because people we were in line with were cool as f and held our spots and vice versa. Being able to see a show from the rail it was worth it. I'd do it again
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Gremmie03Gremmie03 Posts: 504
    Can you have a cooler in line?
  • Gremmie03 said:

People did in Milwaukee.
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,651
    Gremmie03 said:

Who's gonna stop you? Geez...it's just a line outside a building..
  • Peyton18Peyton18 Posts: 216
    You can bring a cooler while in the line. I've done it a few times! Just have to take it back to the car or whatever before you go into the arena
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    People had coolers, camp chairs and I believe a few tents at Cincy. Just take them back to your car before you come in.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Like a lot of others have already said, don't worry about getting there early and lining up. I never understood that. Enjoy the city - get some drinks. Have fun! I was in the back of the floor for Memphis in 2014 and had a blast. Lots of room to sing and dance along with the band.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,351
    1. get really drunk
    2. sweat a lot
    3. take your shirt off
    4. sing REALLY LOUD during slow songs
    5. fart a lot
    6. pee in a cup and put it on the floor
    7. mosh
    8. smoke cigs all night
    9. yell whoooooooo and high five your bro during slow songs
    10. hold up a sign really high all show saying what # show it is and what you want to hear
    11. film the whole thing with your cellphone
    12. do you love eddie? SHOUT IT all night!
    13. have a kid? then you get to go to the front!
    14. if you are within 20 feet of a tambourine you hip check, push and dive. get it at any cost
    15. call your freinds and facetime at the show! "look at me bro! thats stone over my shoulder!"
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1 '21 Jersey Shore '22 MSG  '24: MSG1, MSG2
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    nycrats said:

1. get really drunk
    2. sweat a lot
    3. take your shirt off
    4. sing REALLY LOUD during slow songs
    5. fart a lot
    6. pee in a cup and put it on the floor
    7. mosh
    8. smoke cigs all night
    9. yell whoooooooo and high five your bro during slow songs
    10. hold up a sign really high all show saying what # show it is and what you want to hear
    11. film the whole thing with your cellphone
    12. do you love eddie? SHOUT IT all night!
    13. have a kid? then you get to go to the front!
    14. if you are within 20 feet of a tambourine you hip check, push and dive. get it at any cost
    15. call your freinds and facetime at the show! "look at me bro! thats stone over my shoulder!"

Now that was funny and sad at the same time ;)

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,673
    If you camp over night I guess most venues are ok with you parking the night before?
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,404
    if you are in the back of the pit just chilling on the barricade, what row do you think you are in? 20?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,351
    mcgruff10 said:

if you are in the back of the pit just chilling on the barricade, what row do you think you are in? 20?

at msg it is 25 or 26.. really depends on the pit. i rememebr in detroit it looked liek the back was 15
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1 '21 Jersey Shore '22 MSG  '24: MSG1, MSG2
    Looks like the BB&T Center is across the across the street from everglades... maybe mosquito nets...haha

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,404
    edited April 2016
    nycrats said:

mcgruff10 said:

at msg it is 25 or 26.. really depends on the pit. i rememebr in detroit it looked liek the back was 15
    damn no matter where you are in GA, it's closer than 95% of the crowd. sweet.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited April 2016
    Here's some shots of Denver... Rather large GA area for that show.

Tulsa 2104

Extreme GA?... Amsterdam.. Walked around and took images as the Ziggo Dome filled.
    At this point remember saying " Look plenty of room to long in the back of GA"..

Ziggo Before

Ziggo After

Post edited by myoung321 on